Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day of Surgery


Aunt Cindy came over to the hospital with Brayden to be with us the day of surgery, April 25th.  She brought us a picnic basket full of goodies which was very kind of her.

Grandma and Grandpa with Sara before they wheeled her off to surgery.  She received a blessing  before going into the surgery room from Craig and grandpa.  We are so grateful for the power of the priesthood.  Sara had a difficult time while they were getting ready to take her away from us.  And to be truthful, it wasn't very easy on us to have to her leave with two men we don't know who are taking her life into their hands.  But we trust them and know things will work out the way they are suppose to.  After saying goodbye to our sweet Sara, we went down to the cafeteria for breakfast.  
Since her surgery was on saturday, no one was in the waiting room except us.  Everyone did what they could to pass the time of her being gone.  Craig and Grandpa talked and walked around.  Grandpa watched part of a movie.  This was the worse part for Craig and he lost it.  Everyone felt so bad for him.  He just cried and cried, wishing he was the one in surgery and not his little girl.  Craig kept walking around with tears streaming down his face, and there were many hugs shared and many prayers said in the waiting room.  Craig and I went to a corner in the waiting room and had a prayer together and just hugged.  He didn't want Sara to see how hard this had been on him and so as soon as he was gone, he cried and cried.  But when she came out of surgery he was strong for her to help be her strength during the recovery.  All of us during this have broken down, mine was at the hospital when we first initially heard that she had a brain tumor, so was my moms.  I am glad we had it at different times so while one was weak the other could be strong. 


Cindy and Grandma talked to each other and to anyone who called to see what was happening.  They were also calling others and letting them know as well.
And of course I was on the phone telling family and friends the updates, trying to keep my mind busy thinking of other situations, comforting Craig, and praying constantly.  About 10 a.m. the phone at the receptions desk rang and I answered it.  It was the nurse telling us that Sara was stable and doing great.  That they were almost to the tumor and they would call us again in about an hour to an hour and a half to let us know when they were finished.  Well 45 minutes later the phone rang.  Craig and I had just finished praying together and he rushed over to answer the phone.  It was the nurse saying that they were finished.  We were shocked at how fast everything went.  Dr. Brockmeyer came out and told us that everything went well.  There was no complications, she had little blood loss.  He said that he is 99% sure that the tumor is choroidplexus papiloma, which is an uncommon tumor.  But for our case that is good because uncommon tumors usually mean they are cancer free.  We were so relieved.  He said the tumor was by the brain stem but not attached and came out really easily.  He then told us how she would be going to the PICU over night and we could see her in 45 minutes.  

About a half hour later Dr. Bishop the attending surgeon came and talked to us saying similar things but also told us that it was one of the easiest tumors he had ever taken out.  I know the prayers and love of all our family and friends truly have helped in all of this.  Thank you!
While we were waiting for them to tell us we could see Sara, Craig spotted Sara being wheeled into the PICU and ran down to see her.  The doctor that put her under was standing there waiting for us to come and take a look.  He was very kind to let us see her.  Craig came back with tears streaming down his face, telling us I just love that little girl so much and we hugged. We knew everything was going to be okay.
After surgery Sara slept and slept.  They put many IV's in her for the surgery.  One in her neck, 2 more in her arm (3 total), and one in her foot.  She did not like it when they took them out.  It was a good thing that she was put under when they put them it.  I don't blame her one bit.  She has so many tubes and wires coming out of her body it was sad.

Sara's battle wound.  It is about 5 inches long.  When we first lifted up her hair to look at what took place all of us were shocked.  I could see why they had to have so many IV's in her to make sure everything was completely asleep.  We could go into the PICU 3 at a time.  So Craig and myself went in first.  Then my parents went in with Craig.  When they came out Cindy and Craig's brother Scott went in.  After knowing she was doing good, my parents and Cindy went home.  I am so grateful for family and friends and the support we have received during all of this.

Craig and Scott in the PICU.  Craig' mom and Aunt Venna Dee also came in to say hi.  After a little while of visiting and all Sara was doing was resting I decided it was time to go home and be with the other kids.  Craig was taking his night and then on Sunday I would come up with the kids to see Sara and to relieve him so he could go and get some sleep.  Before leaving we all went down around 2:30 to each lunch and visit.  It is hard to not stay, but I knew I had to get arrangements made for the other kids for the coming week and get some sleep myself.  When I got home, the first thing I did was shower.  It felt so good, and then called the many people who had left messages on my answering machine.  I was so surprised at all the messages and know we are being truly blessed with everyones out pouring of love.  Then I went up to my sisters Amy's house.  She has been amazing through all of this because I know it has been a huge sacrifice for her to not be up at the hospital spending time with Sara.  She is a nurse and so it is normally her who is at the hospital with whomever in the family staying by their side, but this time I needed her most at home with my children.  Ben, Nicole, and Ty love the Ortiz family so much and they have so much fun being with them, I knew if they were with her it would make this transition easier on them, especially for Ben.  She was great!  When I got to her house, dinner was ready to eat, which was yummy lasagna and I was served by Ry.  I couldn't have asked for a better meal and better treatment.  I was already tired of cafeteria food and this hit the spot.  Then they allowed me to relax while they cleaned up.  I truly felt like a princess who looked like she had been hit by a truck.  

We stayed a while and visited, but my exhaustion took over and we went home.  I was hoping to go to bed, but that wasn't the case.  Ben and Nicole needed serious attention and I had many phone calls to make.  Mindy stopped by and informed me that my wonderful ward and friends already figured meals for the week and many wonderful friends had volunteered to take my kids.  I am so deeply touched with how everyone is so willing to help.  I have the best friends and family ever!!!  Thank you!!  By having so many people willing to help made it so I could focus on my kids more and only had to make 20 phone calls instead of 50.  

While I was doing all of this Craig was with Sara.  His sister Colette and niece Makenzie came to visit.  They got there during the hour that you can't have visitors and so they went and ate dinner.  Sara started waking up and talking a little more when they got back from eating.   Sara would wake up and get mad that she had so many cords on her body.  She wanted them off!  She did not want anyone or anything to touch her.  She would say, I want this off and this off and this off, pointing to every contraption that was on her.  The nurse told Craig most kids aren't that aware of everything on them that soon after surgery.

Craig would tell her she can't have everything off and try to explain to her that they need to have them on her to make sure everything is alright.  But she didn't want to listen she kept saying I want this off and this off.  Well she continued to do this and finally she pointed to the heart monitor cord and said I want this off.  Craig told her Sara you need to keep the heart monitor on so that they know you are alive and that you are okay.  She replied, Dad I wouldn't be able to talk if my heart wasn't beating.  I will tell them if I am not okay. 

I love that she is being a fighter during all of this and wanting to get better and come home.  And yet as she is fighting, she is so sweet.  At 9 p.m. I received a phone call from Sara.  She wanted me to be with her, and that she loved me.  I told her the same and that I would come up tomorrow.  You could tell she was still groggy and wouldn't remember anything about the night, (which is a good thing) but I know she meant what she said.  I love her with my whole heart and would have done anything so that she did not have to go through this surgery if I could, but I couldn't.  Sometimes you feel so helpless.  But at least we have love, prayer, family and friends, and the priesthood to help us feel comfort and peace through all of our challenges.
 

6 comments:

Jodi Gallagher said...

I am so glad she is doing good. When I found out about her I was so scared for you guys! You are so strong and such a good mom. Sara is so lucky to have you! We'll keep Sara in our prayers. Call us for anything! We love you!

mena said...

Jill, I justs found out today.I am in tears right now. I am so sorry that I didn't call or help or anything. I love this little girl so much. I will call in the morning and talk K. I love you guys!!

ginacrotts.jamberrynails.net said...

I love you girl!

The Marshall's said...

Jill and family. Gina infomed me today of what had happened. I am so sorry. Please let us know if there is anything we can do at all. I am glad things went well and that she is doing good. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Suzie said...

Hallie JUST told me what happened! I did some searching and found your blog. If there is anything I can do please let me know. I am home a lot and can take kids pretty much anytime.
I am so glad to hear that things are looking so good and that the surgery was so successful. Sara will be in our prayers.

Liz said...

Wow Jill... I can't believe what you guys have been through in such a short time!! We have been praying for you all and hope she returns to normal health soon! Good luck!